BSA Troop 20 has a long and honorable history in the Village of Mt. Pleasant. As far as we can tell, the first Eagle Scout award from Troop 20 was achieved in 1934. We know the troop is older since the scouts must take the necessary steps to attain the rank of Eagle Scout. Since 1934, 111 other young men have attained this coveted rank.
Over the years, the troop has had several sponsors. In 1934, the town of Mt. Pleasant sponsored the troop and meetings were held in the Town Hall. In 1946, the troop was then sponsored by St. Paul's Lutheran Church on Pitt Street. In 1947, the Mt. Pleasant Exchange Club was the sponsor. In 1956, St. Andrews Episcopal Church on Whilden Street sponsored the troop with meetings held in the Town Recreation Building on the corner of Royall Avenue and Bank Street. In 1965, the charter was issued to Mt. Pleasant Presbyterian Church on Hibben Street where Troop 20 has been sponsored for the last 41 years.
Our Eagle Scouts have held other posts and positions of honor in Scouting. Mr. Edward Royall made Eagle Scout in 1946 and was the first scout in Troop 20 to attain the God and Country award. Other scouts have been awarded Lodge Chief in the Order of the Arrow.
BSA Troop 20 of the Village of Mt. Pleasant has a long and honorable past. With the leadership and caliber of young men in their troop, the number of Eagle Scouts will continue to rise.